Ten Books Everyone Should Read (Guest Blog Entry)

Guest Blogger: Maxwell Nelson

1. Dune by Frank Herbert 
Simply calling this a science fiction book does not do it justice. Herbert’s distant future portrayal of the hero’s journey is as relevant today as it was in the sixties. That fact that it was written by a fellow Washingtonian makes it all the more appealing.

2. The Hobbit, or There And Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien 
A timeless classic for all ages. All of our favorite fantasy adventures stories owe a tip of the cap to Tolkien’s legacy.

3. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss  
This is just one of the many stories influenced by Tolkien. However, Rothfuss’ blending of classic and contemporary fantasy, as well as his love of D&D style gaming, has formed a deeply compelling and beautiful story within a story.

4. East of Eden by John Steinbeck 
An ambitious undertaking. Steinbeck brings the bible to California in gorgeous and painful detail with this dramatic character arch. From the rich description of the Salinas Valley in the beginning, to the discovery of “Thimsel”, it is truly genius.

5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain 
Another American standard, it captures our nation’s spirit in the middle of the nineteenth century. It somehow manages to remain a comedy while still accurately exploring the Mississippi region and the racism that permeated it.

6. Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose 
The only non-fiction book on the list, this is another American classic. Ambrose’s retelling of the Lewis and Clark expedition reads less like a dry historical account and more like the grand adventure that, somehow, actually happened. It is staggering what this group of young men, and one impressive woman, were able to accomplish.

7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee 
My top ten should really have more female representation; I blame the patriarchy. There is a conspiracy that Lee’s triumphant novel was actually penned by Truman Capote. Such disrespect can’t erase her brilliant tale of America during the Great Depression, and the injustices seen from the eyes of a child.  

8. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson 
That iconic image of an eye-patched, hooked-handed, pegged-legged pirate is because of this nineteenth-century story. Much like the Hobbit, it is the root of countless adventure tales that would follow, but nothing quite matches the original search for elusive buried treasure.

9. Habibi by Craig Thompson 
No list is complete without a graphic novel, and few graphic novels can match what Thompson delivered. His exploration of Islam via a love story was criticized by some as western appropriation, but even the critics praised the Arabic inspired artwork that propels the emotionally charged story from heartbreak to hope.  

10. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
A must read for music lovers. Hornby perfectly expresses the frustrations of modern life and the search for love via pop music. I believe I saw the film first, but can say without a doubt that the book is superior.   

Comments

  1. I'd love to push back on your list entry. In this list of authors, 9/10 are white men. We have to ask ourselves, "whose voices are missing from this list?" We've been perpetuating a white-centric "classics" list for too long, and there are so many quality authors and stories that are overlooked and overshadowed. It is important to include diverse voices, especially when recommending books to students.

    It's really easy to make excuses for ourselves, like "well, that's all we read in school" or "if those other books were really good, surely we would have heard about them by now." Unfortunately, that just further highlights whiteness in our society.

    Here are a few books to add to your list:
    Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
    Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

    I read a ton of YA, and I'd be happy to recommend a list of Own Voices books for students too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting observation! While reading this list I realized that I have only read "To Kill a Mockingbird". I wonder if that was by design from my teachers (as many of these books are traditionally read in middle/high school). It would be interesting for me to go back and ask my English teachers why they selected the readings they did.

      Delete
    2. I think Max would 100% agree with you Mari that it is troubling that most of the authors are white men. I agree that we have been perpetuating white classics for too long. It is hard though because I asked him what his favorite books were of all time and those are the books that he grew up on. He is aware that his list is imbalanced though and even noted it when talking about To Kill a Mockingbird. Thank you for your suggestions. Out of your list, I have read The Alchemist, which I loved, and plan on reading Trevor Noah's book as well.

      Delete
    3. Yes! Thank you for pointing this out, Mari. I will admit that I have not read any of the books on the list. I'd add the following:

      Black Boy White School by Brian F. Walker
      After Tupac and D Foster by Jacqueline Woodson
      Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith
      Monster by Walter Dean Myers
      The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
      On the Come Up by Angie Thomas

      Delete
    4. Thank you for the suggestions as well Alicia! I have been dying to read The Hate U Give. It is at the top of my list right now.

      Delete
  2. The only two books on this list I have read are to kill a Mocking Bird and Huck Finn but I do not really remember either one since I was in grade school when I did. I liked the movie High Fidelity because I was working in a record store when it came out and could compare some of the in store antics to coworkers. I did not actually know it was based on a book so maybe I should give it a read. A book I would suggest everyone read is the Outsiders. I know many people had to in school but I always felt it had a strong message people should understand especially younger adults.
    -Jake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read High Fidelity! The movie takes place in America but the book takes place in England so the music references are very different. It is a very funny and captivating book. If you worked in a record store you would definitely relate to it.

      Delete
  3. I have enjoyed 7 of the original list in the post. I don’t consider myself well read. I keep a ‘retirement book and film list’, and I will be adding to it from both Maxewell’s, and Mari’s lists. If anyone reads “East of Eden” don’t miss “The Grapes of Wrath”. It holds one of the most powerfully written endings I’ve witnessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Grapes of Wrath but John Steinbeck is an excellent author, so I have always meant to read it.

      Delete
  4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee were usually part of an English course. However, I preferred mythology stories because I liked the power that the characters had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love mythology too! I have taught a unit on "The Hero's Journey" for a couple years now and it always involves reading some Greek myths. It's fascinating to then look at how the structure of those myths connects to the structure of current fantasy and sci-fi books.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Commentary on "Why is Algebra so Hard?"

Grading Homework

List of Apps I use to Present Information to my Students