EdTech Awards

I recently learned that EdTech Digest each year has EdTech Awards. I thought I would check out the 2019 winners to see if I could discover any new tools I could use in my classroom. Here is the complete list of finalists and award winners: https://edtechdigest.com/2019-finalists-winners/

I started by looking through the list of The EdTech Cool Tools Awards which was broken up into sections by type of tool. In the Adaptive Technology Solution section, MobyMax won. This did not surprise me because I have used MobyMax before and loved it. MobyMax is kind of like Khan Academy or IXL except more adaptive. Students take an assessment and MobyMax determines what areas of math they don’t understand. Students then work on those areas until they have mastered them. This is a great tool to help students fill in gaps in learning. Each student gets to work on just the areas they need and not the areas they don’t. Here’s the link to Moby Max: https://www.mobymax.com/

The only problem with Moby Max is that it only covers K-8 grade math. I will be teaching algebra and advanced algebra, which are 9th and 11th-grade math. Then I noticed MATHia won the award for Artificial Intelligence Solution. I had never heard of this program so I looked it up. It was created by Carnegie Learning and looks similar to MobyMax. It covers 6-12 grade math and appears to be extremely adaptive. On their website it says, “In an independent “Gold Standard” study funded by the U.S. Department of Education and conducted by the RAND Corporation, the Carnegie Learning blended approach nearly doubled growth in performance on standardized tests relative to typical students in the second year of implementation.”  I signed up for a free trial which I am excited to try out. I don’t know how expensive this program is though or how difficult it would be to get it approved by the district so I’m not sure if I would be able to use it or not. Here’s the link to MATHia: https://www.carnegielearning.com/products/software-platform/mathia-learning-software/?thank_you=yes

The next category I was interested in was Games for Learning/Simulation Solution. I love video games and enjoy finding ways to incorporate them into my classroom. The winner of this category was HoloLAB Champions. Even though I don’t teach science, this game really excited me. It is a VR chemistry lab. Students can perform experiments that they might not be able to do in the classroom. It is also in a fun game show format. The only problem with this game is you would need all of the VR equipment for it. It looks incredibly fun though. Here’s the link to HoloLAB Champions: https://www.schellgames.com/games/hololab-champions

There were so many other amazing tools listed in EdTech Digest’s EdTech Awards. I will definitely be exploring other ones on the list.


Comments

  1. We use Moby Max at our school. I think it's a great program for filling in gaps for math especially. Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to check out schellgames. It looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked using Moby Max too! I saw a lot of growth in my students after they used it. I also appreciate that it was affordable because I purchased it myself.

      Delete
  2. I am going to have to look into this list! Thank you for sharing, it seems like a great place for teachers to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the list is very extensive! I liked that it broke things down by category too so I could focus on the areas I was interested in.

      Delete
  3. Interesting place to find new resources, I will have to keep that in mind for the future. I look forward to testing out these tools. Thanks for sharing this great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was glad I stumbled upon it because I had have heard of EdTech Digest. I am definitely going to check it again in the future to see what new tools they recommend.

      Delete
  4. I liked that Moby Max showed success videos. Thus, it proves that it can help a student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I definitely saw first hand that it helped students. I worked with a group of students who were struggling in math and had not passed the standardized test. Moby Max helped to identify and fill in gaps in math for these students.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, this is a great resource, and a rabbit hole for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is definitely a rabbit hole. I spent quite a bit of time looking at many of the tools on the list and didn't even get to half of them. There is a lot of cool stuff on there!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Commentary on "Why is Algebra so Hard?"

Grading Homework

Question About Screen Time